11 Top Jobs with Flexible Hours in 2023
Careers With Flexible Hours
Certain jobs with flexible hours can help reclaim your work-life balance while still providing you with decent pay. This has been a game changer for me and my career.
While they can often be hard to find, we did some research and narrowed down our top 11 positions. Here are our top picks to help keep your life flexible.
- Jobs with flexible work hours
- Benefits of jobs with flexible work hours
Working the daily 9-5 grind is not for everyone. If you want a job with flexible hours, there are plenty of careers where you can choose or adjust your work time to better to suit your needs. Below are excellent jobs with flexible hours so you can regain some of that freedom!
11 Jobs with Flexible Work Hours
Many sales jobs have a super flexible schedule. You can knock on doors or make calls when you want – working on weekends instead of weekdays if needed.
- Inside sales representative: Selling products or services over the phone or online, rather than meeting with clients in person. This can be a flexible job, as it allows you to set your own schedule and work from anywhere.
- Independent sales representative: You are self-employed and responsible for finding your own clients. This can be a flexible job, as you have the freedom to set your own schedule and work at your own pace.
- Outside sales representative: While the work hours may be more structured, many outside sales reps have some flexibility in their schedules, as they are often required to meet with clients at their convenience.
- Direct sales: You may be able to set your own schedule and work around your other commitments.
2. Software Development
If you’re a software engineer or developer, much of your work can be done at home, so you don’t need to work during typical office hours.
If you are tired one day and would rather write code through the night – you can!
- Remote software developer: Many companies are open to hiring software developers who work remotely, which can offer a high level of flexibility in terms of work location and schedule.
- Freelance software developer: You have the flexibility to pick the people you work with and set your own schedule.
- Part-time software developer: Some roles are part-time, which can offers flexibility in terms of the number of hours you want to put in each week.
- Contract software developer: Contract positions can offer flexibility in terms of the duration of the project and the schedule.
Tutors, especially online tutors, typically set their own hours.
If you tutor grade school children, you likely need to work in the evenings. But college tutors have loads of flexibility and just need to align their meetings with their students.
- Online tutor: Online tutoring platforms allow you to set your own schedule and choose when you are available to tutor. This can offer a high level of flexibility.
- Private tutor: You may be able to work with students on a one-on-one basis or in small groups, depending on your preferences.
- Part-time tutor: Some tutoring jobs are part-time, which can offer a degree of flexibility in terms of the number of hours worked per week.
- Tutor at a tutoring center: Many tutoring centers offer flexible scheduling, with the option to work evening or weekend hours.
Photographers can set their own schedules, especially if they have a home studio or shoot outdoors. You can schedule several clients in one day and then take the next two days off if you please.
The exception here are wedding photographers who will have to follow a strict schedule (but you can always pass on the weddings or weekends you don’t want to shoot). You can also edit and send out your product whenever convenient for you.
- Freelance photographer: As a freelance photographer, you have the flexibility to choose your own projects and set your own schedule.
- Event photographer: Many event photography jobs are on a part-time or contract basis, which can offer flexibility in terms of the number of hours worked and the duration of the assignment.
- Stock photographer: Stock photographers are usually paid on a per-photo basis and can work on their own schedule.
- Photography teacher: Many photography schools and community centers offer part-time or contract teaching positions, which can offer flexibility in terms of the number of hours worked and the duration of the assignment.
There are many different types of freelance jobs.
If you can foster a client base and generate consistent work, you can build a super flexible schedule as many freelancers get their work done whenever they want.
- Writer: Freelance writing jobs can be done from anywhere and often offer a high level of flexibility in terms of schedule.
- Graphic designer: Freelance graphic design jobs can be done remotely and often offer a high level of flexibility in terms of schedule.
- Web developer: Many web development projects can be done remotely, which can offer a high level of flexibility in terms of work location and schedule.
- Translator: Freelance translation jobs can be done remotely and often offer a high level of flexibility in terms of schedule.
- Marketing consultant: As a freelance marketing consultant, you can choose your own clients and set your own schedule.
6. Therapist or Counselor
Some therapists and counselors can set their own schedules and hours. Many therapists work in the evenings or on weekends, which is convenient for clients and allows them to have more free time.
There are many therapists who work your typical 9-5 schedule and come home to additional tasks like filing paperwork though.
- Teletherapy: Many therapists and counselors offer teletherapy services, which can be done remotely and offer a high level of flexibility in terms of work location and schedule.
- Part-time therapist or counselor: Some therapy and counseling jobs are part-time, which can offer a degree of flexibility in terms of the number of hours worked per week.
- Contract therapist or counselor: Contract positions can offer flexibility in terms of the duration of the assignment and the schedule.
- Private practice therapist or counselor: As a private practice therapist or counselor, you have the flexibility to set your own schedule and choose your own clients.
7. Interior Designer
Interior designers typically have to schedule and attend appointments with clients, but other than that, they generally work whenever they want.
- Kitchen and bath designer: Kitchen and bath designers specialize in creating functional and visually appealing designs for these important rooms in a home. They may work with contractors and other professionals to ensure that the designs are practical and adhere to building codes.
- Sustainable design specialist: Sustainable design specialists focus on creating environmentally-friendly designs that use resources efficiently and minimize the impact on the environment. They may work on residential, commercial, or public projects.
- Project manager: Project managers coordinate the various aspects of an interior design project, including budget, schedule, and communication with clients and team members. They may work for a design firm or as an independent contractor.
8. Yoga Instructor
Although after work hours tend to be the busiest, if you’re a yoga instructor, personal trainer, or fitness consultant, you can typically choose your own hours.
Even if you work at a studio or gym, you can choose what hours you want to teach and change them if needed.
- Yoga studio owner: As the owner of a yoga studio, you have the flexibility to set your own schedule and choose your own teaching staff.
- Part-time yoga instructor: Many yoga studios and fitness centers offer part-time teaching positions, which can offer a degree of flexibility in terms of the number of hours worked per week.
- Contract yoga instructor: Contract positions can offer flexibility in terms of the duration of the assignment and the schedule.
9. Social Media Manager
The role of a Social Media Manager is becoming a popular remote job as of recently.
Companies need someone to make posts and create content for their various social media accounts which can be done anywhere, anytime.
- Remote social media manager: Many companies are open to hiring social media managers who work from home due to the online nature of this work.
- Freelance social media manager: As a freelance social media manager, you have the flexibility to pick the people you work with and set your own schedule.
- Contract social media manager: Contract positions can offer flexibility in terms of the duration of the project and the schedule.
10. Real Estate Agent
Real estate agents get to set their own open house times and schedule tours and showings to fit their schedules (with the exception of their clients needs).
It’s a great way to control your work hours and make excellent money from commissions.
- Remote real estate agent: Many real estate companies are open to hiring agents who work remotely, which can offer a high level of flexibility in terms of work location and schedule.
- Part-time real estate agent: Some real estate jobs are part-time, which can offer a degree of flexibility in terms of the number of hours worked per week.
11. Content Creator
If you have a decent social media following or content niche, you can build a following and make money from sponsorships or advertising.
The best part is that you can do this whenever you want.
- Technical writer: Technical writers create user manuals, instruction guides, and other technical documentation. This type of writing job may be a good fit for those with a strong understanding of complex systems and a technical background.
- Copywriter: Copywriters create marketing materials, such as website content, ad copy, and email campaigns. This type of writing job may be a good fit for those with a creative flair and an interest in marketing.
- Journalist: Journalists report on news and current events for newspapers, magazines, websites, and other media outlets. This type of writing job may be a good fit for those with an interest in current events and a nose for a good story.
- Novelist: Novelists write fiction books, such as novels, novellas, and short stories. This type of writing job may be a good fit for those with a creative mind and a love of storytelling.
- Blogger: Bloggers write articles for websites or blogs on a variety of topics, such as lifestyle, parenting, travel, and more. This type of writing job may be a good fit for those with a strong voice and a passion for a particular subject.
Benefits of Jobs With Flexible Work Hours
There are several benefits to working a job with flexible hours such as improving your physical and mental health. Here are a few additional benefits you should consider:
- Easy Scheduling
- Telecommuting makes it much easier to schedule important appointments or run errands when most of the working population is on the job.
- You can get your Starbucks when the morning lines are gone or get weekday lunches at that restaurant that’s always too busy on the weekends.
- Improved Productivity
- If you can choose the times and hours you work, you can find the times of day when you’re more productive. Some people are night owls, while others are early birds.
- Jobs with flexible hours often allow you to choose the times of day when you work, allowing you to capitalize on more productive moods.
- Relaxed Days
- When you have a remote job or home job with flexible working hours, you don’t need to wake up to the same alarm every morning or sit in the same rush hour traffic every evening.
- You can enjoy a more relaxed day and week when you need it. And when you don’t, you can work more hours and increase your income.
- Enhanced Work-Life Balance
- People who work 9-5 every weekday can often feel like they’re sacrificing all their time for their job. Living to work, not working to live.
- But jobs with flexible hours allow you to regain more of your free time and achieve a better work-life balance.
- Time For Other Endeavors
- If you’re looking to turn your passion into a career but need income in the meantime, jobs with flexible hours allow you to pursue other things.
- So if you’re an aspiring actor, you can work as a realtor and go to auditions or acting classes between open houses or tours. It’s nearly impossible to pursue a passion when working a grueling 9-5 job in the office.
- Better Health
- When you have a job with a flexible work arrangement, you are able to spend more time focusing on your health and well-being.
- You can easily schedule doctor appointments, take mental health days, and ensure you eat, sleep, and exercise as needed to feel well.
“77% of remote workers say they’re more productive when working from home.”– Findstack
Wrapping Up | Top Jobs with Flexible Work Hours
If going to the same place at the same time every day is torture, there are better opportunities. Jobs with flexible hours won’t just help you reclaim your time, but they can also help develop your career and improve your health.
While the world has had a very rigid idea of what a day at work should look like, times are changing. Many people work from home and work as they please, improving satisfaction and overall well-being.
Before you accept any job, ask what the typical work schedule and day to day looks like – this will provide you with enough information to make a decision on the role.
If you have any questions about specific roles, please feel free to reach out to us. Best of luck in your career search!
Title: Top Jobs with Flexible Work Hours
Category: Job Search
Tags: best jobs that are flexible, jobs with flexible work hours, what positions give you flexible work hours, jobs with nice schedules, careers with flexible hours, best jobs for flexibility, part time jobs with flexible hours, best flexible jobs, jobs with flexible schedule, my favorite jobs with flexible hours
Co-Author: Reid is a contributor for theJub. He’s an employment and marketing enthusiast who studied business before taking on various recruiting, management, and marketing roles. More from the author. | Author Profile