How to Answer: What Song Best Describes Your Work Ethic? (Interview Question)
describe your work ethic
What song best describes your work ethic? While you might not think of this interview question as a difficult one, it often trips up even the most prepared applicants.
In this article, we run through the purpose of this question and how to answer it.
- Why do interviewers ask this question
- How to answer what song best describes your work ethic
- Other weird interview questions
Why Do Interviewers Ask This Question?
Interviewers ask funny questions like this for a myriad of reasons.
Some interview questions are just formality, while others ask you to exemplify your creativity and ability to think on the spot.
A question like this asks you to define your work ethic, which gives the interviewer an idea of your professional mindset. It also shows a bit of who you are outside of the office.
While this isn’t relative to your ability to perform work tasks, it shows some of your personal interests.
In tight-knit offices, they ask these odd questions to see how you might fit into the office environment or team you would be joining.
“The average employer typically interviews fewer than 10 candidates for one job position, and the average number of interviews per job is 2–3.”— Career Sidekick
How to Answer What Song Best Describes Your Work Ethic
Answer by giving a single direct response with an explanation around why you believe your work ethic matches that specific song.
Have fun with it as there isn’t really a defined “correct answer” to an interview question like this.
You should, however, avoid answering with any songs about partying, drug use, or songs that aim to tear down “the man” – you don’t want to seem like a rebel or unpredictable.
It’s also useful to gauge your interviewer.
Are they your age? Older? Younger? Try to tailor your answer to your interviewer’s demographic.
This is an opportunity to show your wit, humor, and taste in music. While your taste in music isn’t pertinent to your qualifications as an employee, it can show how well you may fit into the office culture.
If you want some inspiration for your work ethic song, consider one of these popular hits below about determination and not giving up.
- “Eye of the Tiger” by Survivor
- “Fight Song” by Rachel Platten
- “Takin’ Care of Business” by Bachman-Turner Overdrive
- “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus
- “Don’t Stop Believin’” by Journey
- “Flawless” by Beyoncé
- “Roar” by Katy Perry
- “Warrior” by Demi Lovato
- “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” by Marvin Gaye
- “Whatever It Takes” by Imagine Dragons
- “Happy” by Pharell
- “We Are The Champions” by Queen
- “Girl On Fire” by Alicia Keys
- “Firework” by Katy Perry
- “Level Up” by Ciara
- “Don’t Stop Me Now” by Queen
- “I’m So Excited” by The Pointer Sisters
Other Weird Interview Questions
Below are a few other oddball interview questions to be prepared for, as answering them on the fly can often be difficult.
- Describe yourself in one word.
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
- Do you consider yourself lucky?
- If you could only enjoy one book or movie for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What would you do if you won $100 million in the lottery?
- If you could be any superhero, who would you be and why?
- Would you rather fight 100 duck-sized horses or one horse-sized duck?
- How many traffic lights are there in New York City?
- Would you rather be a giant hamster or a tiny elephant?
- If you were a vegetable, what would you be and why?
It’s important to understand that these types of oddball questions are not common in most job interviews. However, some employers may use them to gauge how you think on your feet and how you handle unexpected or unusual situations.
If you are asked a strange question in an interview, try to stay calm and think creatively about how to respond.
Wrapping Up | What Song Describes Your Work Ethic
It’s wise to have answers ready for these unique questions that often catch you off-guard, but at the end of the day, don’t stress over it.
The weight an employer or hiring manager puts on your answer to them is very minimal compared to the skill based or experience related questions.
Make it fun, choose a song and explain why there’s a correlation there. We hope this helped – best of luck in your next interview!
Title: What Song Describes Your Work Ethic
Tags: what song describes your work ethic, weird interview questions, job interview question, describe your work ethic, now whats the work ethic song, songs about working hard, interview questions about work ethic, what song best describes your work ethic, what song best describes you interview question
Co-Author: Becky is a contributor for theJub. She’s a hiring manager and talent acquisition specialist who loves to apply her skills through creative writing and editing.