Simply put, a sales associate sells products and services for a company.
Typically working alone and required to meet certain sales goals set by a manager or organization. This requires a sense of self-awareness and a high level of independence.
There are several other key characteristics required to be successful in this role which are listed below in the sales associate job description.
SALES ASSOCIATE JOB DESCRIPTION
Writing a captivating job description is a key part of helping employers bring on the best talent available – helping you stick out from the rest of the employers looking to hire the same candidates.
When written well, a job description gives the candidates a clearer picture of what the position entails.
Learn more about the key requirements, duties, responsibilities, and skills that should be included within a sales associate job description.
Sales Associate Key Responsibilities And Duties
Highlight and outline the core responsibilities related to the position. This will give the applicants a better understanding of the work they should expect and prevent uninterested/unqualified candidates from applying (to a certain point). Here are a few examples:
- Provide outstanding customer service before and after a sale.
- Maintain high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Help customers determine their needs then provide proper recommendations to solve their problems.
- Ask all customers for referrals.
- Develop strong relationships with customers and look for opportunities to further expand their products.
- Take full advantage of company training sessions and literature to remain current with product offerings.
- Keep all store areas clean and organized.
Sales Associate Common Qualifications And Skills
Identify a list of the “must” and “nice to” haves for the open position – this could include both hard and soft skills. Here are a few examples:
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to read people well
- Good listening skills
- Friendly personality
- General understanding of the sales process
Responsibilities and Skills by Indeed
- theJub Career Resources
- Employer Resources
- Qualities of a Good Employee
- Best General Staffing Agencies
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What Is A Sales Associate Salary?
A sales associate makes on average $32,000 per year. This number depends heavily on the level of experience, certifications/education, geographical location and commission associated with your sales.
What Is In A Job Description?
A job description typically contains the following pieces: job title, job purpose, job duties and responsibilities, required skills/qualifications, preferred skills/qualifications and education.
They will often contain a short overview of the company or team you would be joining in the role as well.
Why Is Job Description Important?
Job descriptions help identify particular skills, qualifications and experiences that are necessary for a candidate to possess in a particular role.
This gives the person hiring (whether that be HR, a hiring manager, or recruiter) a clear view on what to look out for in applicants and the job seeker an understanding of whether they are qualified for the position or not.
How Do You Write A Good Job Description?
There are a number of ways you can go about writing a good job description – but the most straight forward approach is to take it step by step.
- Add a basic job title (don’t get cute here)
- Start with a short but exciting summary of the role
- Focus on the key responsibilities needed to fulfill the job
- Require only the most important skills (asking for too much will deter candidates)
- Add education requirements if it’s necessary
- Write a short overview of your company and the culture
Job Description Template (Source: SHRM)
Below is a job description template – the role of a Customer Service Supervisor is used as the example copy to better paint a picture of how your job description should look. Source = SHRM who also has a number of other job description template on their website here.
Job Summary Example:
The Customer Service Supervisor will oversee and assist customer service employees in the performance of their job duties such as responding to customer inquiries and resolving issues or complaints.
- Recruits, interviews, hires, and trains new staff.
- Oversees the daily workflow of the department.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills/Abilities Examples:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Excellent sales and customer service skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Education and Experience Examples:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- At least two years related experience required.
- Current human resources and/or compensation credentials or certification preferred.
Physical Requirement Examples:
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
Category: Sales Associate Job Description
Tags: how to write a sales associate job description, sales associate job summary, sales job duties, sales associate qualifications, sales associate responsibilities, sales associate required skills, sales associate education, sales associate purpose, sales associate experience
Author: Reid is a contributor for theJub. He’s an employment and marketing enthusiast who studied business before taking on various recruiting, management, and marketing roles. More from the author. | Author Profile